U.S. Laws and Bills before Congress for Businesses Operating in Fragile or Conflict-Affected Regions
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, 15 U.S.C. §§ 78dd-1, et seq.
- Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, Pub. L. 111-203, H.R. 4173 (July 21, 2010).
- -See also the SEC Implementation literature
- Growth Act of 2010, H.R. 5191 (emphasizing women in development)
- Trade Reform, Accountability, Development , and Employment (TRADE) Act of 2009, H.R. 3012 (emphasizing labor rights as outlined in the ILO).
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, 15 U.S.C. § 7243 (regarding corporate responsibility).
- Tom Lantos Block Burmese Junta's Anti-Democratic Efforts (JADE) Act of 2008, Pub. L. 110-286 (banning gemstones from Burma).
- S.85 -- Restoring America's Competitiveness in Enterprise (RACE) Act 2011 (Reduces Corporation Tax)
- H.R.54 -- STOP Act (To amend the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 to extend liability to corporations, partnerships, and other persons having ownership interests in responsible parties, and for other purposes.)
- H.R.138 -- Ethics in Foreign Lobbying Act of 2011 (Prohibit gifts/resources from foreign companies to political committees/persons)
- S.891 -- Congo Conflict Minerals Act of 2009
- H.R.323 -- Corporate Crime Database Act
- H.R.4128 -- Conflict Minerals Trade Act
- H.R. 322 Dangerous Products Warning Act
- H.R.656 -- African Investment and Diaspora Act (Community Based)
- S. 2027 Clean Diamond Trade Act, 2002
- H.Con.Res.239 Conflict Diamonds Resolution
- H.R. 5061 Comprehensive Peace in Sudan Act
- S. 2830 Food, Agriculture, Conservation, and Trade Act of 1990
Submit a Blog Topic
Posted by: shumbasIntrepreneurial solutions is what we need in disaster situations. In...
From Supply and Demand to Power and Data: The Case for a More Restrained Handling of Job Creation Programs in Conflict-Affected SituationsPosted by: Jeffrey JonkersRich Malllet raises some important issues here: job-creation programmes...
Posted by: ydupontDear Lex Rieffel, I would be very interesed to hear more on this...
Posted by: RieffelFrom where I sit, I believe the challenge of urban youth unemployment--not...
Posted by: claireflozIf the developed countries incurred debts, how much more the little...