United States Institute of Peace

International Network for Economics and Conflict

Revisiting Strategies for Post-Conflict Economic Recovery: Assessing the Findings of the 2011 World Development Report

View the Discussion

To read the discussion, click on the links below (topics and experts noted).  Although the expert authors are no longer on call to respond to your questions or comments, you can still provide your feedback via the "comment" feature on each discussion page.  In order to comment, you must register with INEC.

The Center for Sustainable Economies at the United States Institute of Peace hosted this two-day eSeminar in partnership with Economists for Peace and Security, August 3-4, 2011, to consider economic reconstruction strategies for countries/regions that have been affected by violent conflict.  A panel of experienced scholars and practitioners evaluated the new research presented in the World Bank’s 2011 World Development Report: Conflict, Security and Development and offered their thoughts on the design, implementation and monitoring of conflict-sensitive initiatives. Additionally, these experts* were available to respond to the comments and questions or participants for the duration of the eSeminar.  The eSeminar will consider their remarks and (hopefully) identify concrete steps that could be taken to achieve

Although the eSeminar has ended, we invite you to participate in three ways:

1. Review the notes from all six commentators (listed and linked above);
  2. Contribute your insights  via the “comment” feature at the bottom of each essay; and
  3. Share examples, publications and case studies.

Email Michelle Swearingen with any technical questions or issues.

*Tilman Brück was unavailable to participate in the eSeminar due to scheduling conflicts.

Comment #4

Recently the world has experienced the economic crisis due to many reasons. It is true that conflict is the main cause behind bad financial circumstances in all through the world. Such economic condition had affected every individual's life and developmental work had slowed down. Piracy, illegal terms had widely applied by most of the people this also resulted in bad economic condition. However, some legal technique like trademark litigation has been mobilize into practice to bring the economic condition into mainstream.

Comment #3

The Sierra Leone chapter of the B-Gifted was founded on the initiative of Andrew Benson Greene. Since its launch in 2007 B-Gifted Foundation of Sierra Leone has used creativity and technology to address human rights, enhance peace and development. Andrew's earlier efforts with International Education and Resource Networks Programs also  become a catalyst for bringing
education to the young people of the country, using information communication technology and psychosocial rehabilitation to help restore health and hope to children whose lives have been devastated by war, in particular child soldiers.

Mr. Greene, Founder and CEO at B-Gifted Foundation in Sierra Leone and a Suave Scholar, McGill University Canada, sent this Peace and  Unity
article entitled “Elements of Terrorism Can be Groomed At Early Age”,
and the following are some excerpts and quotes from his article:

“The recruitment of child soldiers around the world can be a breeding ground for terrorism. Whilst children are in themselves terrorized by violence, they continue to be dangerous to the lives of others when conscripted as child soldiers, and forced to even turn their guns
against their very parents, families and friends upon whose survival their welfare once depended.”

“I remembered that my country was locked in the quizzical position of beauty, wealth, brutality and poverty, which existed side by side in a decade of war that has now completely ended. The sustained peaceful
pace and democracy in Sierra Leone today has ushered in a new glimmer of hope to stop the drafting of children into soldiers. It is my wish that this will be a shining example in other dozens of countries around the globe today.”

“I came to North America, as a research scholar at McGill’s Scholars Program, and realized that these issues and problems affecting children used in armed conflict have not been granted the full attention it deserves in this part of the world. I knew that Canada’s
strategic place in the world, its history and record of human rights and peace can be a powerful pedestal for me to launch my campaigns to calm the rough tides of warfare in which children were adrift… In my inquiry, I had the chance to speak with a group of sensitized students who believed that they can join in my efforts to help make a better place for the children of the world.”

Having seen children change dramatically for the worse and the problems of small arms readily available falling into their hands, Mr. Greene is resolved to help transform “tragedy into positive elements on which children’s lives can be made whole again”.

For children and youth who survived wars and hostilities as child soldiers, a long-term process of re-instating them into society remain a mammoth task, says Andrew Greene. Alternatives to involving children in armed conflict must be found to help them resume life in the
community, by teaching them to be responsible, and discover their talents and inherent strength. “This re-integration and rehabilitation process will mean the provision of not only relief and food, but also
education and training on all fronts, psycho-social support, and appropriate strategies for economic livelihood”.

This has been Mr. Green’s major pre-occupation for the last six years,  using the power of educational telecommunications technology tools: “Iand the incredible global learning network has inspired such
trans-border and trans-cultural online interaction of youth from Sierra Leone and around the world.”  It is Mr. Greene’s hope that this network of young people exchanging peaceful ideas (like creating “No War Zones”) and concerns for human rights “will usher in world peace in the near future”.

“I feel strongly that all of us can help to stop the use of child soldiers and that we must no longer be silent about it, as the elements of terrorism can be groomed at such an early age.”

Andrew Greene concludes his article with a quote from an interview with a McGill University student on this subject who stated that: “If we don’t fight to stop child soldiers, we are basically promising ourselves that there will be child soldiers in the future and that will be a poor future for all of us.”

b.giftedfoundation@bgiftedfoundation.org or
b.giftedfoundation@gmail.com and abensongreene@gmail.com
Website:   www.bgiftedfoundation.orgwww.linkedin.com/in/bgiftedfdn

Comment #2

The topic is interesting but the papers leave me unsatisfied for one simple reason.  My gut feeling is that the interventions required to help initiate sustainable economic growth in fragile/conflict states are very country-specific.  Generalizations across this group of countries do not strike me as helpful in deciding what to do in any particular country.

Even worse, I see the potential for the number of conflict states to grow significantly if the global economy tips back into a recession, as seems increasingly likely.  In this event, the capacity of the international community to intervene usefully will also diminish.  Not a pretty picture.

Comment #1

Thank you for joining this eSeminar.  As you may be aware, the World Bank’s 2011 World Development Report (WDR) focuses states/regions that are affected by violent conflict.  This report presents a lot of recent research and outlines a number of recommendations aimed at addressing the multifaceted challenges in fragile environments.  While the 2011 WDR is obviously a very useful addition to the conflict-development debate, even a cursory overview of recent experience will highlight many new ideas and strategies that have failed to make a meaningful or lasting impact in these regions.  This raises serious questions about the design, implementation and monitoring of programs intended to engender stability and economic progress in the world’s most challenging environments.

This online event is not intended to point out everything we think might be wrong with the 2011 WDR.  We aim to contribute concrete steps that could improve outcomes in conflict-affected states/regions and identify research/policy gaps that could be addressed.

We look forward to a productive and spirited dialogue.

Raymond Gilpin

eSeminar Moderator